Professionalism Webinar: Self-Regulation and the Actuarial Profession
Self-Regulation and the Actuarial Profession
Nov. 11, 2021 | Noon to 1:30 pm EST | USQS CE and JBEA CPE Eligible
Slides and audio are now available. To view them, log in to your Academy member account.
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
For many years, the U.S. actuarial profession’s robust professionalism infrastructure and discipline process has allowed actuaries to enjoy the privilege of self-regulation. While self-regulation brings many advantages to the profession, it also brings responsibilities for individual actuaries—actuaries must uphold high standards of professional conduct to earn the public’s trust.
During this webinar, learn why self-regulation is important to the actuarial profession and what you can do to help ensure it continues. Members of the Committee on Professional Responsibility (COPR) will discuss the importance of upholding the profession’s standards of conduct, qualification, and practice, as well as how to explain the requirements—and benefits—of actuarial professionalism to principals.
- Nancy Behrens, MAAA, FSA
- Audrey Halvorson, MAAA, FSA
Former Chairperson, COPR
- Kathy Wong, MAAA, FSA
- Brian Jackson
General Counsel and Director of Professionalism
The opinions expressed by the panelists during this presentation do not necessarily represent the opinions of any of the panelists’ employers or any boards or committees of the Academy.
CONTINUING EDUCATION AND JBEA CPE CREDIT
The American Academy of Actuaries believes in good faith that attendance at this live webinar constitutes an organized activity as defined under the current Qualification Standards for Actuaries Issuing Statements of Actuarial Opinion in the United States, and that attendees may earn up to 1.8 organized and professionalism continuing education (CE) credits for attending this live webinar.
We also believe in good faith that Enrolled Actuaries may earn up to 1.8 continuing professional education (CPE) core ethics credits under the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) rules for attending this live webinar. However, the JBEA ultimately determines what constitutes core, non-core, or ethics continuing education and the number of CPE credit hours allocated to same for Enrolled Actuaries.
Please note recent updates to the process for requesting a Certificate of Attendance that were requested by the JBEA. Make sure to review these changes carefully to ensure you are eligible to request and receive your Certificate of Attendance for any Academy webinar.
- All EAs who want to receive a Certificate of Attendance must be registered either as an individual attendee or listed as part of a group registration and must submit their request within two business days of the event. You are still required to attest to your actual attendance for the full webinar in order to receive full JBEA credit.
While many people are working remotely, the Academy is offering group registrations to employers of our members. Please read our group registration policy carefully.
- The lead registrant must be an Academy member. You will receive one computer connection (link) to the webinar that will allow you to broadcast the live event to your remote attendees, who must be members of the same company, using a platform (Zoom, WebEx, etc.)* of your company’s choosing. Audio must be streamed via the web—phone connections for the group are not provided.
- Within one business day of the webinar, the lead registrant is responsible for submitting a list of attendees, using this template created for the event, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to submit this list will result in you no longer being able to register your group for future webinars.
- For webinars offering CPE: Please note that any Enrolled Actuaries who plan to request and receive an individual JBEA CPE Certificate of Attendance must have their names on this list. The group registration template also includes a statement for the lead registrant to use to verify attendance for those names on the list. This was requested by the JBEA in order to verify attendance for those requesting certificates. We will be unable to verify your attendance, as requested by the JBEA, if your name is not on this list. You must attend the entire webinar in order to receive full JBEA credit.
* The Academy does not take responsibility for ensuring the live webinar can be seen and heard through the registrant’s broadcasting platform. Group registration fees for the live webinar do not include access to the archive recording, except for Academy members who may access an archive of all Academy webinars in the members-only section of the Academy’s website.
- Check out the Academy’s frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding the new webinar signup process, group registration, and more.
- For technical support, please contact BlueSky customer support at 888-705-6002 or email@example.com.
- For other information about this webinar, contact Doreen Hoyle at Profwebcast@actuary.org.