Where Does Bias Hide? Defining Data Biases and Unfairly Discriminatory Considerations
Oct. 26, 2023 | Noon to 1:30 p.m. EDT | USQS Bias CE and JBEA Core Ethics CPE Available
- Members: $55
- Nonmembers: $110
- Group Registration for Academy Members: $500 (read the policy)
- Complimentary registration is available to the following cohorts of Academy members. Email email@example.com to receive a discount code to register.
- Government regulators
- Academy volunteers who meet both the below conditions:
- “active” members of an Academy committee, board, subcommittee, task force, or work group; and
- qualified for either a partial or full dues waiver during 2023.
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
In recent years, the issue of bias in data and models that actuaries work with has been in the spotlight, drawing attention from regulators and others. Data Science and Analytics Committee Chairperson and Academy Board member Dorothy Andrews will address the importance of identifying biases in data and algorithms and the dangers of using data that may be embedded with bias. Join us to hear her discuss sources of algorithmic bias, bias identification in the modeling process, current trends in P/C insurance rate modeling, and more.
- Dorothy Andrews, MAAA, ASA, CSPA, Ph.D.
Chairperson, Data Science and Analytics Committee
Academy Board Member
- Brian Jackson
General Counsel and Senior Director of Professionalism
The American Academy of Actuaries believes in good faith that attendance at this live webinar constitutes an organized activity as defined under the current Qualification Standards for Actuaries Issuing Statements of Actuarial Opinion in the United States, and that attendees may earn up to 1.8 bias CE credits for attending this live webinar.
Attendees of the webinar can count this toward the U.S. Qualification Standards (USQS) requirement of annual bias education.
We also believe in good faith that Enrolled Actuaries (EAs) may earn up to 1.8 continuing professional education (CPE) core ethics credits under the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) rules for attending this live webinar. However, the JBEA ultimately determines what constitutes core, non-core, ethics, or non-ethics continuing education and the number of CPE credit hours allocated to same for Enrolled Actuaries. All EAs who want to receive a Certificate of Attendance must be registered either as an individual attendee or listed as part of a group registration and must submit their request within two business days of the event. You are still required to attest to your actual attendance for the full webinar to receive full JBEA credit.
- Please note that the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries’ (JBEA) temporary waiver of the “physical presence” requirement ended on Dec. 31, 2022. Consequently, in order for attending EAs to receive Formal JBEA CPD credit for attending this program, the EA must simultaneously participate in the live program in the same physical location with at least two other participants engaged in substantive pension service. Groups of three or more participants who are in the same physical location may participate via the internet, video conferencing, or teleconferencing.
For information about this webinar, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about our webinar policies, including group registration