Capitol Forum Webinar
Social Security and Medicare Trustees Reports: A Deep-Dive Discussion With the Programs’ Chief Actuaries
June 17, 2022 | Noon to 1:30 p.m. EDT | USQS CE and JBEA CPE Eligible
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Attendees gained insights into the recently released annual Medicare and Social Security trustees’ reports during this webinar, which featured prominent actuaries overseeing the two programs. They provided a deep dive into the assumptions and how recent events—such as the COVID-19 pandemic and related economic downturn—are reflected in their projections.
The chairpersons of the Academy’s Medicare and Social Security Committees facilitated the discussion and also provided a summary of the trustees’ findings. The discussion highlighted commonalities and differences in inputs and what is unique about each system. Time was allotted for audience Q&A.
Attendees gained insight into these programs and also:
Gained an understanding of the 2022 financial picture for both programs and the differences in how results should be viewed for Social Security and Medicare;
Learned the key drivers of the financial results and the actuarial assumptions used in the projections; and
Understands how recent events such as COVID-19, employment and related payroll tax impacts and economic changes since the prior year’s reports are reflected in assumptions and carried through to financial projection results.
- Karen Glenn, MAAA, FSA, EA
Deputy Chief Actuary, Office of the Actuary, Social Security Administration
- Stephen Goss, MAAA, ASA
Chief Actuary, Office of the Actuary, Social Security Administration
- Paul Spitalnic, MAAA, ASA
Director and Chief Actuary, Office of the Actuary, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Rina Vertes, MAAA, FSA
Chairperson, Medicare Committee
- Amy Kemp, MAAA, ASA, EA
Chairperson, Social Security Committee
The American Academy of Actuaries believes in good faith that attendance at this live webinar constituted an organized activity as defined under the current Qualification Standards for Actuaries Issuing Statements of Actuarial Opinion in the United States, and that attendees may earn up to 1.8 organized continuing education (CE) credits for attending this live webinar.
For the pension-related content that will be covered during this webinar, we also believe in good faith that Enrolled Actuaries may earn up to 1.0 continuing professional education (CPE) non-core credits under the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries (JBEA) rules for attending this live webinar. However, the JBEA ultimately determines what constitutes core, non-core, or ethics continuing education and the number of CPE credit hours allocated to same for Enrolled Actuaries.
Please note recent updates to the process for requesting a Certificate of Attendance that were requested by the JBEA. Make sure to review these changes carefully to ensure you are eligible to request and receive your Certificate of Attendance for any Academy webinar.
- All EAs who want to receive a Certificate of Attendance must be registered either as an individual attendee or listed as part of a group registration and must submit their request within two business days of the event. You are still required to attest to your actual attendance for the full webinar in order to receive full JBEA credit.
GROUP REGISTRATION POLICY
While many people are working remotely, the Academy is offering group registrations to employers of our members. Please read our group registration policy carefully.
- The lead registrant must be an Academy member. You will receive one computer connection (link) to the webinar that will allow you to broadcast the live event to your remote attendees, who must be members of the same company, using a platform (Zoom, WebEx, etc.)* of your company’s choosing..
- Within one business day of the webinar, the lead registrant is responsible for submitting a list of attendees, using this template created for the event, to email@example.com. Failure to submit this list will result in you no longer being able to register your group for future webinars.
- For webinars offering CPE: Please note that any Enrolled Actuaries who plan to request and receive an individual JBEA CPE Certificate of Attendance must have their names on this list. The group registration template also includes a statement for the lead registrant to use to verify attendance for those names on the list. This was requested by the JBEA in order to verify attendance for those requesting certificates. We will be unable to verify your attendance, as requested by the JBEA, if your name is not on this list. You must attend the entire webinar in order to receive full JBEA credit.
* The Academy does not take responsibility for ensuring the live webinar can be seen and heard through the registrant’s broadcasting platform. Group registration fees for the live webinar do not include access to the archive recording, except for Academy members who may access an archive of all Academy webinars in the members-only section of the Academy’s website.
QUESTIONS: For information about this webinar, contact Gwen Pegram at firstname.lastname@example.org.