April 22, 2021
Dear Academy Member:
We’d like to take a moment to pause and say thank you for being an Academy volunteer. It’s simple. We couldn’t do what we do without you.
Just look at some of the more recent accomplishments in 2021.
- A discussion brief, Health Equity from an Actuarial Perspective: Questions to Explore, probing health disparities from the perspectives of health insurance benefit design, provider contracting and network development, premium pricing, and managing population health.
- Developing a virtual PBR Boot Camp with an agenda geared for those who are new or relatively new to life principle-based reserving (PBR).
- Two issue briefs examining automobile insurance—one on considerations arising from the COVID-19 pandemic and one on consumer costs.
- A major study on individual equity and social adequacy as those principles apply to Social Security reform options and a webinar exploring these and other Social Security reform topics.
- Hosting thousands of attendees during our first professionalism webinar of 2021 which dove into the wealth of information contained in Actuarial Standard of Practice (ASOP) No. 1, Introductory Actuarial Standard of Practice.
We appreciate the time and expertise you give to support the Academy’s mission to provide objective analysis to policymakers and helping to establish, maintain, and enforce high professional standards of actuarial qualification, practice, and conduct. Even in a pandemic, you’ve remained committed and dedicated—and for that, we thank you.
We’re looking forward to working with you and to achieving even more this year that serves to highlight the independence and objectivity actuaries can bring to serve the public and our profession.
President, American Academy of Actuaries