2011 American Academy of Actuaries Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon
October 24, 2011
Join your colleagues at the 2011 American Academy of Actuaries Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon on Oct. 24 in Las Vegas!
12:05 - 2:00 p.m.
JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
This year's event is being held in conjunction with the Conference of Consulting Actuaries Annual Meeting.
Presentation of the 2011 Jarvis Farley Service Award
The Jarvis Farley Award recognizes those whose volunteer efforts on behalf of the Academy have made a significant contribution to the advancement of the profession.
- The Robert J. Myers Public Service Award recognizes an actuary who has made a single noteworthy contribution to the common good or who has devoted an entire career to public service.
- Ceremonial presidential transition and introduction of new leadership on the Academy's board of directors.
The Academy is pleased to announce the speaker for this year's Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon: Nate Silver. Silver is a statistician, psephologist, and writer. He is renowned for applying statistics to evaluating baseball player performance, prognosticating election results, and evaluating public opinion on political issues. He has been called a number-crunching prodigy and was named to Time Magazine's list of the World's 100 Most Influential People in 2009. He remarkably predicted the outcome of the 2008 presidential election by correctly identifying the winner in 49 of the 50 states.
- Founder of FiveThirtyEight.com (now a licensed feature of the New York Times online), an award-winning political website that publishes statistical data and calculated projections on a variety of issues;
- Developer of PECOTA, a system that forecasts performance and career development of Major League Baseball players;
- Writer and co-author of several books on statistical analysis and forecasting;
Contributor to ESPN.com, Sports Illustrated, Slate, New York Times, and many other popular publications.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The 2011 American Academy of Actuaries Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon is open to all Academy members.REGISTRATION
This year's event is held in conjunction with the Conference of Consulting Actuaries Annual Meeting. If you are not attending the CCA Annual Meeting but would like to attend the Academy Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon, the fee is $65. If you are attending the CCA Annual Meeting, your registration includes the Academy Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon.
Refunds will not be provided.
For more information about this event, please contact Kasha Shelton (202-223-8196) or Andrew Simonelli (202-785-7872).