The American Academy of Actuaries' initiative, Retirement for the AGES, is intended to focus attention on the United States retirement-income system, which needs to be strengthened to improve financial security for retired Americans.
The AGES Framework
Alignment – between stakeholders’ roles and their competencies.
Governance – that defines roles, reduces conflicts of interest, manages competing needs, and properly staffs boards.
Efficiency – in maximizing returns and minimizing risks.
Sustainability – of the system; achieved through appropriate cost allocation and protection from extraordinary market gyrations and inflation.
The Academy hosted a special forum, Retirement for the AGES: Measuring for Success, on April 28, 2014 at the Ronald Reagan International Trade Center in Washington, D.C. The forum, sponsored by the Academy’s Pension Practice Council, brought together retirement thought leaders for an in-depth discussion and assessment of retirement plans and recent proposals using the Academy’s new framework for retirement-income systems.
Videos of the AGES Forum
Introduction to the AGES Framework
Retirement for the AGES Resources
- Retirement for the AGES: Measuring for Success Presentations (April 28, 2014)
- Retirement for the AGES Monograph (January 17, 2014)
Capitol Hill Briefing Presentation (January 17, 2014)
News Release, “Actuaries Unveil Critical Approach to Assessing Nation’s Retirement-Income Challenges” (January 17, 2014)
- Shift Retirement Plans Away from Employers, Over 65 blog (March 31, 2014)
- Bells & Whistles, Plansponsor.com (March 24, 2014)
- Shift retirement plans away from employers, Market Watch (January 29, 2014)
- Actuaries offer some sober retirement principles, Dallas Morning News, (January 21, 2014)
- The case for pooling savings, Bankrate.com Retirement Blog, (January 21, 2014)
- In the US, actuaries study pension sustainability, Alliance for Retirement Income Adequacy, (January 21, 2014)
- Actuaries Examine Retirement, Benefits and Pensions Monitor, (January 20, 2014)
- U.S. Actuaries Launch Retirement-Income Initiative, Individual.com (COMTEX), (January 21, 2014)
- Actuaries call for improved U.S. retirement system, BenefitsCanada, (January 17, 2014)
- Academy Offers Framework for Evaluating Retirement Plans, PlanSponsor.com, (January 17, 2014)
- Framework for Evaluating Plans, Proposals, PlanAdviser.com, (January 17, 2014)
- Building Enduring Retirement-Income Systems, 401khelpcenter, (January 17, 2014)