The American Academy of Actuaries’ initiative, Examining the Health Care Equation – Actuarial Perspectives on Cost and Quality, examines health care cost growth and explores options to reduce long-term spending growth and promote high-quality care.
Context of the Health Care Equation
$2.8 trillion: total health care spending for 2012 in the U.S.
Since 2009, health care cost growth has been leveling off. Nevertheless, health spending levels are high and spending growth could potentially return to historic levels. Now is the time to explore options to sustain the slowdown and further reduce costs. To support policymakers with this issue, the Academy has launched two initiatives to provide clear, objective actuarial expertise on factors affecting health care costs and quality:
- A partnership with the Health Care Cost Institute to further inform the years of study by the Academy’s Health Practice Council to examine factors affecting the cost of health care in the United States.
- An initial series of papers highlighting options for delivery and payment system reforms, disease management and prevention initiatives, and proposals to address cost growth in Medicare and Medicaid.
Register here for updates to the research and papers that will lay the groundwork for opportunities to improve costs and quality in our health care system.
News and Events
Capitol Hill Briefing
April 7, 2014
12:30 - 1:30 PM
The Academy launched the Health Care Equation initiative with a Capitol Hill Briefing as part of its continuing effort to provide objective, unbiased information to serve the public and the United States actuarial profession. Speakers included Audrey L. Halvorson, Chairperson of the Health Care Costs Work Group, and Susan E. Pantely, Chairperson of the Health Care Costs Subgroup on Models of Care Delivery. If you missed it, please view the presentation slides.
Health Care Equation Issue Brief Series
- Flyer "What Drives the Growing Cost of Health Care" (April 7, 2014)
- Issue Brief "New Models of Care Delivery" (April 7, 2014)
- Capitol Hill Briefing Presentation Slides "Examining the Health Care Equation - Actuarial perspectives on cost and quality" (April 7, 2014)
- News Release, “American Academy of Actuaries Announces Health Care Cost Initiative” (February 27, 2014)
- American Academy of Actuaries Announces Health Care Cost Initiative, istockanalyst.com, (February 27, 2014)